Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ted(, please) talks!

Thanks to Deepak:

I got introduced to the exciting world of ted talks. Here's the link to the original website:

I cant think of a good way to explain, so I'm just going to borrow their introduction:
http://www.ted.com/pages/view/id/5
"TED is a small nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with the annual TED Conference in Long Beach, California, and the TEDGlobal conference in Oxford UK, TED includes the award-winning TEDTalks video site, the Open Translation Program, the new TEDx community program, this year's TEDIndia Conference and the annual TED Prize."

For the first time, "talks" were organized in India. This event got over yesterday and pretty soon the videos of the talks held here will be up on the website. Till I was waiting for those, I browsed through the website and checked out the most recommended talks. The ones in the jaw dropping section are truly mind boggling and I thoroughly enjoyed Hans Rosling's way of presentation.

A lot of the speakers have extremely innovative methods of presentation and there's a lot to learn here about new subjects and presentation skills. Apart from that, maybe the makers of Ted realized that humans are basically lazy by nature and they absorb knowledge much better if someone TELLS it to them as opposed to reading up and finding out for themselves. (Ok, that's definitely me :D) Of course, a lot depends on the presentation skills but its a really neat way of gaining knowledge. I say, Ted, Keep Talking!

1 comment:

  1. My brother got to attend it. I called him up yesterday and the only thing that he talked about was how cool and awesome some of the ideas were and how he got to meet Abhay Deol and kept blah-ing about how his company is hosting the first ever show.

    ReplyDelete