Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pulsing night

Having missed Persistent's annual cultural fest since the last 2 years, I was grateful that this time the date of the fest did not coincide with my visit to Dubai. Although quitting your job and pursuing your dream seem like very inspiring and fun things to do, needless to say there are times when I sit at home and wonder, am I totally useless? This is of course in the breaks between doing absolutely nothing. So needless to say, this event was a welcome break from all the worrying and idle musings ;)

The event was held in Yashwantrao Chavan. Memories from Expressions came rushing back and I was rueing the fact that this time I was on the other side of the curtain. My friends were also teasing me about my lack of participation backstage but I guess it was just not meant to be. Hopping from seat to seat in the darkness, me and my friend managed to get as close to the stage as possible. A lovely fusion of Bharatnatyam and Kathak kicked off the event. Interspersed with award declarations for the various sub-activities of Pulse like Sports, Social activities etc.were fun dance and music programmes.

The music team at Persistent is awesome and they put up quite a show with famous Marathi songs. The best part was when they presented jingles of old advertisements that used to be aired on Doordarshan. Starting with Mahabharat, everybody joined in for Humara Bajaj, Malgudi days, Chaddi pehen ke phool khila hai, Ek chidiya... I think almost everyone choked up with childhood memories revisited. The finale of that section was Mile sur mera tumhara, presented in its entirety. Truly, amazing :) I later checked out the Ek Chidiyaan video on youtube. The simplicity of the animation boggled my mind. There was no flashy stuff, just a desire to educate. Doordarshan rocked in those days.. Nowadays, well who watches it? Sad but true.

After a few more awards were given away it was time for the fashion show. Persistent's first ever, mind you. Moreover, few of my close friends were participating and I was eager to see them walk the ramp. I wasn't disappointed as Persistent's hunks made an appearance first in traditional Indian clothing. Alternating between the ladies and the men, quite a few styles of clothing were showcased. The choreography and the way the models were walking seemed so professional! The best part was our senior employees dressed up in traditional Indian wear walking the ramp. We're talking about account managers and BU heads here. So cute! I was suffering from a sore throat, but I still screamed my lungs out when my friends came on stage. Where's my chocolate, guys?

All in all, great music, awesome dances, yummy food and a memorable fashion show. Truly a night to remember! Now, back to feeling useless :P


No comments:

Post a Comment